National Historic Landmark Site
The house was purchased and built in 1955 by L.C. and Daisy Bates, Owners/publishers of The "Arkansas StatePress" which championed the rights of 9 Black Students to attend Central High School. The house was the virtual "command Post" for the army of people; military and civilians, engaged in bringing about the racial integration of Little Rock Central High School. The "Army of People" referenced above included members of The 82nd Airborne Division, neighbors, national and international media, The 9 Students and their parents, Civil Rights giants such as Attorneys Thurgood Marshall and Wiley Branton, SR. and The Reverends Dr. Martin King, Jr. and Rufus K. Young, SR.
The Cristian Ministerial Alliance intervened in a foreclosure proceeding against the property to prevent the eviction of Mrs. Bated, paid off the mortgage, assisted Mrs. Bates with her personal needs and assumed responsibility for maintaining the property in order to relieve Mrs. Bates of anxiety about the prospects on becoming "homeless" in the twilight years of her life.Mrs. Bates assigned proprietary and custodial rights to the alliance with the provision that the house be maintained in perpetuity as a depository for important records, documents, photographs, and other memorabilia and artifacts related to significant people and activities related to the Little Rock Central High School crisis of 1957.The L.C. and Daisy Bates House Museum Foundation Board monitors, supervises, and manages all phases of the work of house restoration, building of the support center, landscaping, personnel, and the implementation of an SOP (Standard Operation Procedures) for public access, including the physically challenged.
About The 
Daisy Bates
House
   



DAISY BATES HOUSE:
A NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK


   
The ‘Daisy Bates House’ was announced in 2001 as a National Historic Landmark, with President William Jefferson Clinton presenting the keynote address, “This home stands as a symbol for those who fought to preserve the civil and constitutional rights of American – in the days and years ahead, people from all over the country will come to this simple but significant place to learn about a very noteworthy time in American and Arkansas History."
William Jefferson Clinton.
 
Throughout the period of the crisis, the Bates' and their home was under attack for the courageous stand an support of equal rights.  The Historic site was host to many notables, such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, Justice Wiley Branton, Federal Agent Ozell Sutton, and Actors Ossie Davis and wife, Ruby Dee.
 
The house was built in 1955 by the Bates, approximately 1,800 square feet on the ground and basement floors. The house has two bedrooms; two and a half bathrooms; living room; den; kitchen and a full basement.
 
The House/Museum is owned by the Christian Ministerial Alliance (CMA) and operated by the L.C. and Daisy Bates Museum Foundation, Inc. (LCDBMF) – a nonprofit, 501( C )3 organization.  Mr. Bates passed away in 1989. Mrs. Bates desired that the house be transformed into a museum before she passed in 1999.
    

Heading 1

NEED A TOUR OR OTHER INFORMATION?

Contact us for questions regarding any tours at this Historic Landmark.
 
1207  W. 28th Street
Little Rock, AR. 72206
info@batesmuseumfoundation.org
info.bates@yahoo.com
+501-375-1957

For your mobile device, goto Google Play or App Store